Sunday, February 10, 2008

Clean and Green

In 2001, I developed multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), which resulted in new and unusual allergies and made me sensitive to certain chemicals, such as cleaning products and new carpet odors. This happened shortly after we moved into a brand new manufactured home, and I suspect that the formaldehyde used in the building products was the cause of my illness.

Many people don't realize that when you purchase a new manufactured home, the vendor asks you to sign a release, which states that you have been made aware that newly built manufactured homes can outgas formaldehyde for up to two years. (After doing some research, I later learned that this is not true. In truth, it can take anywhere between 2 and 20 years for formaldehyde to outgas completely.) By signing this document, we released the vendor from any responsibility in the event that anyone should become ill as a result of formaldehyde outgassing. What a mistake!

As a result of my illness, I learned to make my own cleaning products out of common household items like baking soda, vinegar, and borax. (The book Better Basics for the Home by Annie Berthold-Bond is an excellent resource, if you'd care to try making these yourself.) Ever since I started making my own green cleaning products, my home has never been cleaner nor smelled better. For example, today I cleaned the toilet bowl using a combination of vinegar and baking soda. First, I sprinkled baking soda inside the toilet bowl and used a brush to scour the inside of the bowl. Then I added vinegar to the bowl, which reacted with the baking soda and formed a mountain of bubbles. (This part is fun to watch!) After the reaction subsided, I scrubbed the bowl with the brush again and flushed. Now not only do I have a sparkling clean toilet, but my skin and lungs are happy...and so is my wallet.

0 words of wisdom: