Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Forgiveness is Integral to Simple Living

Ultimately, what I must do is learn to let go of the negative memories and emotions, and let God lead me to a place where it’s safe to love "the offender" from a distance. I can learn to replace my love with God’s Love. I recognize that while it’s absurd to even try to change the miserable past, it’s indeed possible to forge ahead and create a beautiful future. This future CAN exist in my mind while I practice letting go of the past.

In truth, I can only forgive "the offender" when I desire peace in my heart more than I wish to wallow in my own self-created pain and misery. Forgiveness is for MY peace, not his. Forgiving "the offender" will not miraculously change him into an adult, or even a decent human being. However, forgiveness will bring me closer to becoming who God created me to be.

So, in summary, I believe that rehashing won’t work for me because I’ve been doing that for decades, and now I’m ready to move on. I wish to go forward into the light--into God’s Love--which will help me forgive myself and let Love heal me. From a position of forgiveness, I can rebuke all negativity because I know it’s false. From that place, I can identify with the God-given strengths within me. In God’s eyes, I am Loved, and now it’s my turn to Love myself.

1 words of wisdom:

Patty said...

forgiveness of the offender is not always easy, but always better for us. That doesn't mean we invite them for supper or even have a conversation with them. We just let God do His work with them and let our hearts rest and move from the wrongs done to us.
Good post !